Temporary Visas

P-3 Work Visa

The P-3 visa is for artists or entertainers, individually or as a group, who are coming to the U.S. for developing, interpreting, representing, coaching or teaching a unique or traditional ethinic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical artistic performance or presentation.

The spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 are permitted to accompany the P-3 to the United States, under a P-4 status. P-4 visa holders are not allowed to work, but may attend schools or colleges.


The sponsor must forward all necessary documents along with Form I-129 to the USCIS branch with jurisdiction over the area where you plan to perform. A U.S. agent may file a petition for workers who are self-employed, use agents to book short-term engagements with many different employers or in situations where foreign employer(s) authorize the use of an agent to act on their behalf. This agent may be the employer of the performer, a representative of the employer or a person authorized to act on behalf of the employer.


For the P-3 Visa, you must provide the following documents:

  • A filled-in visa application Form DS-160. Separate applications for each person are compulsory.
  • One recent photograph 1 & 1/2 inches square (37mm x 37mm) of each applicant, with the entire face visible. The picture should be taken before a light background and without head covering.
  • A passport, valid for travel to the United States for at least six months longer than your intended visit.

The following are also required:

  • Affidavits, testimonials or letters from recognized experts attesting to the applicant’s skills as well as the basis of the expert’s knowledge of the applicant’s skill;
  • Documentation that the performance is culturally unique;
  • Consultation from an organization with expertise in the individual’s or group’s skills;
  • Copy of the written contract between the performer(s) and the employer